You wouldn’t know it was Spring looking at the window right now. So we’re thinking why not inject some colour on this dreary day and brighten up your bakes with our fabulous Cake Décor Rainbow Cake Colour Gels kit!
Rainbow Cake Colour Gels
Our kit comes with 5 super-strength colours that are very bake-stable: blue, green, yellow, red and orange. All of which will really add that WOW-factor! Keep reading to get our marvellous layered Rainbow Cake recipe.
Rainbow Cake Recipe
- 440g self raising flour
- 440g caster sugar
- 440g softened butter
- 8 large eggs
- 540g icing sugar
- 260g softened butter
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and grease 5 x 7” round sandwich tins, lining the bases with baking paper
- Cream 440g softened butter and 440g caster sugar in a bowl until smooth
- Put in 4 large eggs and 220g self-raising flour to the mixture and beat until smooth. Combine the remaining 4 eggs and 220g self-raising flour and continue mixing until smooth
- Split the mixture evenly between 5 bowls and add 10g of gel food colour to each bowl, making sure to mix thoroughly
- Pour each coloured mixture into a sandwich tin and bake in the oven for 35/50 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean
- Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack
- To make the buttercream, gradually mix 540g icing sugar and 260g softened butter in a bowl until creamy and smooth
- Using a palette knife, smooth a thin layer of buttercream between each layer of cake to sandwich together
- Smooth a layer of buttercream over the top and sides of the rainbow cake and pop in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes
- Add a second layer of buttercream to the cake and smooth with a smoother tool. You can leave the cake smooth, or add texture or pattern with a small spatula. You could also try throwing on some Cake Décor Multi-Coloured Hundreds & Thousands for extra colour like what we did!
How about experimenting with a rainbow marbled effect like the cupcakes pictured above? You don’t need to limit yourself to using them only in cake batters! With the bake-stable formula, why not try kneading them into your bread doughs, or throwing some vivid colours into your frostings too!
Have a go at making your own Rainbow show-stopper this Spring!
Please make sure to share your creations with us too. We love seeing them!
Happy Baking 🙂
Sprinkles & Co. Team
Can’t wait to get started?
Cake Décor Rainbow Cake Colour Gels
£8.00 (Trade Case of 6 packs)